Waking up in the City that doesn't sleep - New York, Part 2

Well, I have to confess it took longer than expected to get going with the second part of my New York trip report. You know how things go, real life has that nasty habit of getting in the way of you carefully laid plans. Alas, I finally found the time to continue it.

I woke up completely shattered! The flight was proably more tiring than originally thought. Still, after showering and getting dressed, I felt quite okay. Plus, drawing back the curtains had a further exhilarating effect. Granted, the view wasn't much, but hey, I was in New York, and in Lower Manhattan at that. Definitely a childhood dream come true! 

Well, it ain't pretty, but it's mine - for now. View from my hotel room at the Club Quarters World Trade Center.
A look at the construction site for 5 WTC. They're definitely not taking the slow route to rebuilding!
Going outside for breakfast, my enthusiasm was definitely curbed the moment I left the hotel. It wasn't even 10:00 AM, and the temperature was lready above 28C, with humidity somewhere in the 80s! Welcome to New York! Still, I quickly found a nice spot for breakfast, just across the Road from my hotel, in Battery Park City. The North Cove Marina was shielded from the construction noise of the WTC site, as well as from traffic noise, and trees and a gentle breeze provided some pleasant cooling. Plus, eating breakfast with a view of Ellis Island and Lady Liberty is a nice perk as well!

Jersey City
Anyone can hav a Lady in Black, I prefer a lady in green, Lady Liberty to be precise
Ellis Island, the focal point of the hopes and dreams of millions of immigrants, as well as their worst fears and horrors.
The urban landscape in Lower Manhattan is definitely changing fast!
The contrast between the marina and the buildings in the background is striking!
After breakfast, I decided to make my way to Times Square and further to the Intrepid. However, walking to Greenwich Street Subway Station didn't really seem to appealing. Instead, I opted to walk down to South Ferry station, along the Hudson River. It was definitely the right choice, as the riverside promenade was a very nice, shaded walk. It certainly didn't live up to the classical NYC stereotypes of the concrete jungle.

Well, I wouldn't mind having that boat.
Looking down New York Harbour, with Liberty Island and Ellis Island.
South Cove, Battery Park City. From the looks of it, that area used to be a former ferry landing for railroad ferries from New Jersey.

Come on, rise up! - Looking at 1 WTC along West Street & Hudson River Greenway.
The actual birthplace of New York City, Governor's Island in New York Harbor. The City Charter was signed here in 1624, only 15 years after Henry Hudson landed near the present day foot of the Verrazano Narrows bridge.
Looking back up the Esplanade at Battery Park City.
Between you and me, and the Staten Island Ferry. as Billy Joel once wrote. One of these ferries is seen here approaching the South Ferry terminal.
Hopping into the subway at South Ferry, I ran into another unexpected surprise. While the subway station had successfully soaked up the warmth of the preceeding months, the trains themselves where mercilessly airconditioned. creating an extreme temperature jump, which would have repercussions later. For now, it meant a cool trip up to Times Square, which was quite frankly dissappointing. Overrun, even worse than I thought, small, and just screaming "tourist trap," I quickly decided to scoot, making my way to the Hudson river, or so I thought. By the time I reached Bryant Park, it began to dawn on me that I was heading the wrong way. All right, make a 180 and head back to where you came from.
Times Square - Not really anything out of the ordinary for me.
I think I might have to turn around... That picture was taken at Bryant Park, just after i realised I was heading in the wrong direction.
Fifteen Minutes later... looking back at 42nd Street.
My goal lay two blocks upriver. Over 60000 tons of navy grey history - The USS Intrepid. It may seem strange that of all the sights in New York City, I'd choose an old aircraft carrier. However, I've always been fascinated by naval history, and few ships come close to having as much history as the Intrepid. Furthermore, the largest preserved warship over in Europe is HMS Belfast in London, and I had already scratched her of my list.

Quite a view for lunch, eh?
After a quick lunch, I made my way aboard. Talk about an impressive ship. When you walk up the gangway, you fail to comprehend that Intrepid is considered a "small" carrier by today's standards. It boggles your mind to think that the Nimitz class supercarriers, the mainstay of the US Navy, are a good deal larger still!
What was even more mindboggling was the fact that this ship had the reputation as the most shot at aircraft carrier in the fleet in WW2, and survived crippling kamikaze attacks in the Pacific, attacks that would have sunk other carriers.

A small aricraft carrier? Really?? Are you kidding me???
And I thought I was crazy about Lego, but I guess I was a mild case compared ot this!
North American FJ3 Fury - any similarities to the famous F-86 Sabre are NOT coincidental.
I admit, it doesn't have the glamour of Air Force One, but it still is a presidential aircraft... sort of. This Grumman TBM Avenger carries the markings of a Lieutenant George Herbert Walker Bush, later president of the US, and a decorated naval aviator in WW2.
If you had been here on a certain day in November 1944, you probably would not have lived to see another day! This memorial marks the spot where two kamikazes hit USS Intrepid. 69 People died on that day, their naes are engraved on that memorial.
I've seen telephone booths that were more comfortable than this! Not to mention bigger! Still, the Mercury capsules were America's first stepping stones in space. This is a replica of Aurora 7, flown by NASA Astronaut Scott Carpenter. USS Intrepid served as the recovery vessel.
One of my favourite carrier aircraft of all times, the A-4 Skyhawk. Jets like this still see carrier service with the Brazilian Navy, operating from their flagship, the aircraft carrier Sao Paulo.
You know, I could really use some of those at work: AIM-9L Sidewinder air to air missiles hung from the hangar deck ceiling.
Another case from the "This-won't-win-any-beauty-prize" files, a Piasecki HUP 25 Retriever. Still, she was a welcome sight for any naval aviator who had to be plucked from the sea.
The Hangar Deck also housed an exploration/play area for kids further aft. A multimedia show played at the memorial to the kamikaze attack at regular intervals. It certainly was impressive, but the combination of lighting effects, noise, sirens and smoke is definitely too much for small children.
I decided to make my way to the flight deck, opting to use the interior stairways inside the hangar deck and superstructure. Anything else would have seemed out of character aboard this ship. Stepping onto the deck however, I got another reminder of the unpleasant weather outside, as the hot and humid air hit me like a freight train. Those vending machines next to the hatch were a godsend!!!
Unfortunately, the flight deck itself has been completely remade, with steel replacing the original teak planking. I personally find the teak part hard to believe anyway, especially during the later years of her service, when she operated jet aircraft, some of them equipped with afterburners.

On the fantail, looking forward.

Does anyone else hear Van Halen's Jump when they see this aircraft? After all, the Harrier is a jump jet...
It may not look like it, but this F3D Skynight is actually a fighter!
I've always been a Phan of the F-4 Phantom!
They even left some space for the Aeronavale in the shape of a Dassault-Breguet Etandard.
I'm taking this trip report right to the edge... of the flight deck, that is!
I give to you the F-14 Tomcat, the best and only reason to see Top Gun!
I was originally planning to post some wiseckracks bout the looks of th A-6 Intruder, but after watching "Flight of the Intruder", I really warmed up to that aircraft!
Now it's time for the weird visitor from Area 51. The A-12, the predecessor to the famous SR-71 Blackbird, was a secret "black" project, so secret that its main base of operations was Groom Lake AFB, at the heart of the famous "Area 51."
The bridge superstructure, also known as the island, is the only part of the ship that rises above the flight deck.
Not an everyday view from the bridge of an aircraft carrier!
I have a feeling that you won't bee seing any supermodels on this catwalk!
Anyone know where I can get me some of those? That would really make my work much easier!
Looking back from the gangway.
One last look aft to the flight deck angle and the portside aircraft elevator.
All in all, I can say that Intrepied was totally worth the visit. However, the carrier wasn't the only attraction at the pier. Parked at the far end is a British Airways Concorde, while the nuclear missile submarine USS Growler is moored on the opposite side of the pier from Intrepid. Concorde could only be viewed from the outside unless you attended a special tour, so I gave that a pass. Besides, why should I pay extra here in New York, when I have a Concorde just 40 Kilometers from my parents' place (Technik Museum Sinsheim)?

Looking at the USS Growler from the flight deck gangway of the Intrepid.
For those time when a Sidewinder warhead just isn't enough - A mockup of the nuclear-tipped Regulus cruise missile.
Damn, that sail is huge! The sail in this case refers to the conning tower of a submarine.
As for the Growler, she surely represented an interesting part of naval history, the first generation of US subs armed with nuclear missiles. They were of limited strategic value, as they had to get extremely close to the enemy coast to launch their missiles, and that had to be done on the surface. Still, until the advent of the Polaris Subs, they were the best second strike capability available.
Still, with the temperatures being what they were, I had limited enthusiasm for crawling around the cramped interior of a diesel sub, even if it was a rather large one. Furthermore, an exhibit at the end of the pier had caught my eye. Just a large piece of metal, apparently blackened by heat. It was part of the World Trade Center, and drove home just how this city had suffered.

Small but poignant - A piece of steel from the World Trade Center.
By now, the sky had darkened considerably. It looked as if it might rain at any minute. So, I decided to head back to the hotel, which turned out to be a wise decision, for the skies opened up just as I reached my hotel room. I decided not to head back out, as the air had drained me, and I decided to check out the rest of the city tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logitech K780 Wireless Keyboard & M720 Triathlon Wireless Mouse

Drowning out the world? - Sony MDR ZX110NA Review

Ballincollig - From Boom to Bust and Back again